Saturday, September 01, 2007

I've got good news and... well, more good news

I've been looking into buying a digital SLR for the last five or six years, but have never had the money or the real need for one until now. Since the semester started I decided that the time was finally right to scrounge up the dough for the next step from my old Toshiba PDR-M700 and my trusty 35mm Rebel. About a month ago a nice deal had popped up for the Digital Rebel XT, a steal at $400 for the body with a standard kit lens, but I had to buy those pesky textbooks and couldn't convince my parents that it was a viable "school supply."

Fast forward to this week where I've been reading up on all of the low level(low level meaning lower price points) digital SLR cameras and have been very pleased that it seems that no one is making a bad DSLR today. I read up on the Canon Rebels, dpreview.com said "Highly Recommend". I read up on the Nikon D40, same thing. The Pentax K100D? Of course! The Olympus EVOLT E-500? You bet. The Sony Alpha? Like you need to ask! It seems every camera in my price range is highly recommended. With this newfound knowledge, I decided to stick with the Canon system, since I've grown accustomed to it and already have a basic kit lens for it so I can save by buying just the body and put the extra money aside for a telephoto lens(I love the 10x Canon lens on my Toshiba and don't know how long I can go without EXTREME CLOSEUPS!!! Schwing!)

Today I wrapped up my two day clean out of my sister's garage-garage sale and finally ordered my Rebel XT! Now if it wasn't Labor Day weekend I'd probably have it by Thursday, but since everyone except for B&H is closed for the three day weekend, I'll have to wait for it to be shipped on Tuesday and may not get here until the week after that. Now I'm giddy with anticipation and need to prepare for the big arrival by spending more money on storage and maybe even that fancy lens I've been eyeballing...

No comments: