Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hooked on Weeds

I don't know that most people would feel good about their recently widowed mother becoming a weed-selling mogul in a big white-flight community, but the kids in Showtime's Weeds seem to handle the situation just fine. Too fine if you ask me.

The eldest son, Silus, is so cool with his unemployed mom selling drugs that he steals her supply in order to use it as leverage to get into "the business." This goes horribly wrong and lands his mom, the foxy Mary-Louise Parker, into a six figure hole of debt to a very vicious drug dealer. This seems like it's going to be the premise for most of season 3, and I think it's going to be a great one.

I used to think Showtime was all Queer as Folk and The L Word and had never watched a show from the network, not because I don't have fancy premium cable, but because none of their stuff ever interested me. Weeds is great and is on the complete other side of the spectrum from those shows and this leads me to going out of my way to find a way to watch every episode of the show. Now in it's third season, I'd say it's on par as far as consistent quality as my other current favorite tv show, Entourage.

So go out and don't call your cable or satellite provider and find a way to watch Weeds. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: