Thursday, August 30, 2007

It's the end of the blog as I know it...

I went to a high school where every student was issued a laptop at the beginning of the year. This led to everyone thinking that they were God's gift to the internet and a ton of poorly created, and some very well created personal websites. This was my introduction to blogging. I quickly lost all hope for the format.

I've got accounts in BlogSpot, WordPress, Facebook, MySpace, Xanga, so
on, and so forth, but I tend to not use them. Most of the people I knew that posted regularly to blogs did so through either Xanga or LiveJournal and their pages were either the standard fare of a cookie-cutter layout, or terribly pasted together pieces of CSS and html code from websites that would give even the cartoonist for Pokemon seizures.

Only recently have I started giving blogs a second look, and this is greatly due not to news sites accrediting the format by hiring dedicated bloggers or paying their regular journalistic staff more money for a blog, but due to the accreditation that ESPN and sports in general have given to blogs in my mind by incorporating them into their site.

I still think that someone would have to be damn near God's gift to the internet in order for me to read their personal dedicated blog, let alone regularly visit MySpace or the ever-cluttering Facebook, but I do give more of a thought to professional blogs dedicated to a single subject matter rather than what they ate for lunch or why they're quibbling with their boyfriends.

No comments: